Important Message about LEARN NC
LEARN NC is evaluating its role in the current online education environment as it relates directly to the mission of UNC-Chapel Hill School of Education (UNC-CH SOE). We plan to look at our ability to facilitate the transmission of the best research coming out of UNC-CH SOE and other campus partners to support classroom teachers across North Carolina. We will begin by evaluating our existing faculty and student involvement with various NC public schools to determine what might be useful to share with you.
Don’t worry! The lesson plans, articles, and textbooks you use and love aren’t going away. They are simply being moved into the new LEARN NC Digital Archive. While we are moving away from a focus on publishing, we know it’s important that educators have access to these kinds of resources. These resources will be preserved on our website for the foreseeable future. That said, we’re directing our resources into our newest efforts, so we won’t be adding to the archive or updating its contents. This means that as the North Carolina Standard Course of Study changes in the future, we won’t be re-aligning resources. Our full-text and tag searches should make it possible for you to find exactly what you need, regardless of standards alignment.
Actions YOU and your GSA CAN take!
- Identify the “safe” adults in the building. Who can you go to if you are feeling unsafe or bullied or if you hear others are?
- Know the “chain of command” in your school. Do you talk to your school resource officer first, the teacher, or a principal? Be sure to go to the right people if there are problems!
- Participate in your school’s community! You’re a club just like any other, so be involved in service projects and show how vital you are to the school!
- Become an ally to other groups of students at your school who may face harassment or bullying.There is strength in numbers!
- Understand the School Violence Prevention Act and what it guarantees YOU as a student!
- Enjoy your meetings, parties, events, and celebrations! It’s important to share in the good things that are happening around you!
- Connect with other GSAs in your area, either in person or through Facebook if they have one!
- Know that Safe Schools NC is here for YOU! Like them on Facebook, visit their website at http://www.safeschoolsnc.com, and use them as a resource!