LEARN NC was a program of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Education from 1997 – 2013. It provided lesson plans, professional development, and innovative web resources to support teachers, build community, and improve K-12 education in North Carolina. Learn NC is no longer supported by the School of Education – this is a historical archive of their website.
Actions YOU and your GSA CAN take!
- Identify the “safe” adults in the building. Who can you go to if you are feeling unsafe or bullied or if you hear others are?
- Know the “chain of command” in your school. Do you talk to your school resource officer first, the teacher, or a principal? Be sure to go to the right people if there are problems!
- Participate in your school’s community! You’re a club just like any other, so be involved in service projects and show how vital you are to the school!
- Become an ally to other groups of students at your school who may face harassment or bullying.There is strength in numbers!
- Understand the School Violence Prevention Act and what it guarantees YOU as a student!
- Enjoy your meetings, parties, events, and celebrations! It’s important to share in the good things that are happening around you!
- Connect with other GSAs in your area, either in person or through Facebook if they have one!
- Know that Safe Schools NC is here for YOU! Like them on Facebook, visit their website at http://www.safeschoolsnc.com, and use them as a resource!