1 English language arts
These lessons will help students understand how classroom lessons about using language, analyzing information, creating persuasive arguments, practicing critical thinking, and using proper grammar are applicable to future careers.
The lessons address the following questions:
- Lesson #1: How can you use a newspaper to find a job?
- Lesson #2: How can you use your multiple talents in a job someday?
- Lesson #3: How do bias and hidden messages affect advertising?
- Lesson #4: When will you ever use grammar rules in the real world?
- Lesson #5: How do people use argumentative writing in the workplace?
- Lesson #6: How can you use the internet to conduct research about your future career?
- Lesson #7: What kinds of careers are involved with environmental protection?
- Lesson #8: How can you tell the difference between fact and opinion in the workplace?
- Lesson #9: How can a personal interview help you compare different kinds of jobs?
- Lesson #10: How can understanding cause and effect be important in the workplace?
Lessons and relevant careers
|1. Using reference materials||Accountant, childcare provider, salesperson, painter||Classified ad chart|
|2. Autobiographical expression||Poet, artist, writer||Multiple intelligence survey, graphic design activity|
|3. Exploring bias||Advertising, marketing||Advertisement design|
|4. Grammar and editing||Doctor, attorney, principal, manager||Parent survey, business letter|
|5. Problem and solution||Painter, principal, veterinarian, manufacturer||Problem/solution writing activity|
|6. Poetry||Various, including psychologist and composer||Computer research, acrostic poem|
|7. Details and sequencing||Environmental protection careers||Flow chart, graphic organizer|
|8. Fact and opinion||Various, including nurse and store clerk||Career flash cards|
|9. Comparing and contrasting||Will vary by student||Venn diagram and writing|
|10. Cause and effect||Various, including furniture mover and food service employee||Cause and effect analysis|
- 1.1Using reference materials
- 1.2Autobiographical expression
- 1.3Finding hidden messages in advertising
- 1.4Grammar and editing
- 1.5Solving problems, writing solutions
- 1.6Career research and acrostic poetry
- 1.7Details and sequencing
- 1.8Fact and opinion in the real world
- 1.9Comparing and contrasting careers
- 1.10Cause and effect in the workplace