4 Social studies
These lessons will help students understand how classroom lessons about geography, history, and the environment, economics, politics, and culture of South America and Europe are applicable to future careers.
The lessons address the following questions:
- Lesson #1: What careers make regular use of map skills?
- Lesson #2: Why is a passport an important document for national security?
- Lesson #3: What is farming in the real world really like?
- Lesson #4: Why are the ancient Greeks important to our modern lives?
- Lesson #5: Why is important to know about currency and exchange rates?
- Lesson #6: What kinds of real world careers directly connect with one of the five themes of geography?
- Lesson #7: What practical career skills can be learned from studying World War I?
- Lesson #8: How did the Industrial Revolution permanently change jobs in manufacturing?
- Lesson #9: What is a cartographer?
- Lesson #10: What careers are available in the travel and tourism industry?
Lessons and relevant careers
|1. Map skills||Transportation||Career research|
|2. Movement of people||Government, national security||Create a passport|
|3. Physical environment||Agriculture||Graphic organizer, research, reading activity|
|4. Ancient Greece||Medical field||Graphic organizer, Hippocratic Oath activity|
|5. Currency||Travel||Currency exchange activity, career research|
|6. Five themes of geography||Agriculture, trade, law enforcement, industry, economy||Nation research and booklet activity|
|7. Debate||Politics||Political debate|
|8. Industrial Revolution||Manufacturing jobs||Assembly line activity|
|9. Resources of South America||Various, including cartography, land surveying, and agriculture||Map-making activity|
|10. Modern Europe and South America||Travel and tourism||Commercial/skit|
- 4.1Map skills and transportation careers
- 4.2Careers in border security: Working with passports
- 4.3European and South American agriculture
- 4.4Careers in medicine and the ancient Greeks
- 4.5Careers in travel: Working with currency exchange
- 4.6The five themes of geography
- 4.7World War I political debate
- 4.8Car mania: The legacy of the Industrial Revolution
- 4.9Resources of South America
- 4.10Let's take a trip: Careers in tourism