1 English language arts
These lessons will help students understand how classroom lessons about vocabulary, writing, editing, language, and problem-solving skills are applicable to future careers.
The lessons address the following questions:
- Lesson 1: How does knowing appropriate vocabulary help you prepare for the career world?
- Lesson 2: How can letter-writing skills improve your chances of being hired for a job?
- Lesson 3: How do editing skills help a writer communicate more effectively?
- Lesson 4: How does writing play an essential role in the application and resume process?
- Lesson 5: How can good speaking skills and use of language help you get a job?
- Lesson 6: Do television portrayals of careers present an accurate depiction of those careers?
- Lesson 7: Why are problem-solving skills valuable in many careers?
- Lesson 8: How are math, science, and English skills used in the career world?
- Lesson 9: How does working in the service industry prepare you for a future career?
- Lesson 10: How will your skills and abilities help you choose a career?
Lessons and relevant careers
|1. Vocabulary||Various, including corporate executive, engineer, and doctor||Career vocabulary graphic organizer|
|2. Paired writing/evaluation||Various, including barber, chef, interior designer, and physician||Professional letter-writing activity|
|3. Paired writing/editing||Various, including secretary, actuary, reporter, and editor||Peer-editing activity|
|4. Writing||Various, including human resource work, carpenter, EMT||Completing employment application and resumé|
|5. Speaking skills, presentation skills||Various, including manager, coach, police officer||Job interview role-play|
|6. Evaluative reading||Various, including medicine, law enforcement, legal||Jigsaw activity, gallery walk|
|7. Problem-solving skills||Various, including conservationist, construction worker, travel agent||Problem-solving graphic organizer|
|8. Evaluative reading||Various, including engineer, actor, drafter||Graphic organizer, role-play skit|
|9. Informational reading||Cashier, food preparer, manager||Give one, get one activity|
|10. Guided research, evaluation||Various, including human resources worker, staffing agent, counselor||Career profile, essay|
- 1.1Career vocabulary
- 1.2Career research and writing
- 1.3Dear Juana: Editing a letter
- 1.4Employment applications and resumés
- 1.5Job interviews: Focus on details
- 1.6TV careers: Reality vs. fantasy
- 1.7Problem-solving careers
- 1.8When will I ever use this in real life?
- 1.9Customer service jobs: Building skills for the future
- 1.10Decisions, decisions: A career exploration