These lessons will help students understand how classroom lessons about data analysis and probability, rational numbers, algebra, geometry, and measurement are applicable to future careers.
The lessons address the following questions:
- Lesson 1: How do market and survey researchers use frequency tables?
- Lesson 2: How can a wireless phone plan help you understand how to write equations and expressions?
- Lesson 3: How is the concept of the perimeter of a rectangle used in the career world?
- Lesson 4: How are calculations of the area of a rectangle used in interior design and related occupations?
- Lesson 5: How do people in manufacturing careers use the concept of surface area?
- Lesson 6: How are calculations of simple interest important in the career world?
- Lesson 7: How do surveyors and cartographers use the concept of scale?
- Lesson 8: Why do stockbrokers need to know how to quickly add and subtract integers?
- Lesson 9: Why is writing mathematical expressions and equations an important career skill?
- Lesson 10: How do event planners use calculations of percents?
Lessons and relevant careers
|1. Frequency tables||Various, including market analyst, political analyst, sports statistician, market/survey researcher, mathematician||Student survey and analysis|
|2. Linear equations||Various, including wireless phone manager, rental car manager, amusement park owner||Cell phone plan worksheet|
|3. Perimeter of rectangles||Various, including construction worker, carpenter, electrician, painter, paper hanger, carpet installer||KWL chart, measurement activity|
|4. Area of rectangles||Various, including interior designer, architect, graphic designer, landscape designer||Room measurement activity|
|5. Surface area of rectangular prisms||Manufacturer, postal worker, grocer||Cardboard box factory activity|
|6. Simple interest||Banker, sales representative, retail manager, mortgage broker||Simple interest calculations|
|7. Scale drawings||Various, including cartographer, surveyor, photogrammetrist, comic strip artist, police officer||Map distance measurement activity|
|8. Addition and subtraction of integers||Various, including stock broker, insurance sales agent, financial analyst, loan officer||Stockbroker addition and subtraction activity|
|9. Writing expressions and equations||Various, including stockbroker, technical writer, research assistant, newscaster, surveyor, architect, landscape artist, pharmacist||Career equation-writing activity|
|10. Percent of a number||Various, including event planner, food supplier, restaurant owner, retail sales agent||Dixie Classic Fair planning activity|
- 2.1Frequency tables
- 2.2Linear equations
- 2.3Perimeter of rectangles
- 2.4Interior designers: Working with area
- 2.5Surface area of rectangular prisms
- 2.6Simple interest
- 2.7Scale drawings
- 2.8Stockbrokers: Adding and subtracting integers
- 2.9Career skill: Writing expressions and equations
- 2.10Percent of a number