4 Social studies
These lessons will help students understand how classroom lessons about maps and geography, laws and government, economic planning, and the cultures of Africa, Asia, and Oceania are applicable to future careers.
The lessons address the following questions:
- Lesson 1: What kinds of careers require using maps on a daily basis?
- Lesson 2: Aside from police officers and court officials, what careers require the knowledge of our law codes?
- Lesson 3: What kinds of careers require defending ideas and presenting explanations?
- Lesson 4: What is ecotourism, and what careers are associated with it?
- Lesson 5: How are the skills learned in social studies useful in filmmaking careers?
- Lesson 6: What skills were used in designing the important inventions of ancient China, and what modern careers use those skills?
- Lesson 7: Why has the construction of China’s Three Gorges Dam been so controversial, and what careers have been helped and harmed by it?
- Lesson 8: What is the relationship between economic activity and environmental preservation in Australia, and how do professionals in various careers create compromise between the two?
- Lesson 9: How do professionals in the tourist industry in the Pacific Islands design targeted marketing strategies?
Lessons and relevant careers
|1. Africa: Interpreting Physical Maps||Cartographer, delivery person, transportation worker||Africa map interpretation data chart|
|2. Laws and Government: Hammurabi’s Code||Law enforcement professional, city planner, social worker||Analysis of Hammurabi’s Code|
|3. Economic Planning in West Africa||Lawyer, city planner||Economic planning / problem-solving activity|
|4. Ecotourism in South Asia||Tour guide, hotel manager, restaurant worker||Information analysis and conclusions|
|5. India: A Filmmaking Capital||Cinematographer, producer, director, and other filmmaking careers||Research and filmmaking proposal activity|
|6. China’s Ancient Engineers||Engineer||Information analysis and conclusions|
|7. Modern China: The Dam Debate||City planner, government official||Problem-solving activity and debate|
|8. Australia: Careers, Collisions, and Compromise||Banker, tourism professional, environmental advocate||Career analysis chart|
|9. Pacific Islands: A Profitable Paradise||Tourism careers||Travel brochure creation activity|
- 4.1Africa: Interpreting physical maps
- 4.2Laws and government: Hammurabi's Code
- 4.3Economic planning in West Africa
- 4.4Ecotourism in South Asia
- 4.5India: A filmmaking capital
- 4.6China's ancient engineers
- 4.7Modern China: The dam debate
- 4.8Australia: Careers, collisions, and compromises
- 4.9Pacific islands: A profitable paradise