LEARN NC

1607
First European identification of the Sappony along what is now the western James River, Virginia.
1669
Explorers visit Sappony towns of “Sapon” and “Nahisan.” Sappony believed to be living near present day Clarksville, Virginia.
1714
Governor Spotswood of Virginia constructed “Fort Christ Anna” in today’s Brunswick County, Virginia to monopolize trade. Sappony children attended the Indian school inside the impressive five-sided fort. Sappony played a major role in the functioning, economics and daily routine of Fort Christanna. (For more on Fort Christanna, see the fort’s description on the Historical Marker Database website.)
1728
William Byrd and his surveying party drew the “Dividing Line” between North Carolina and Virginia aided by Ned Bearskin, a Sappony guide and hunter. Bearskin guided and fed the surveying party. This “line” that the Sappony helped to create runs through the current day Sappony settlement.
1776
Sappony served with the colonists in the Revolutionary War. Although Sappony have been identified in High Plains as early as 1755, it wasn’t until Tribal members served in the war that they were able to purchase land in the High Plains Settlement. Sappony fought for the United States in every major war thereafter.
1830
First Indian church in High Plains formed.
1878
First Indian school formed in High Plains.
1888
High Plains Indian Settlement received first formal Indian school with school board representation.
1911
Legislative recognition for Sappony received from the state of North Carolina as “Indians of Person County.” The tribe was then able to receive state funding for education. High Plains Indian School established, built by the Sappony on land donated by the Sappony.
1913
Recognition received from the state of Virginia. Tribal members living in Virginia able to attend High Plains Indian School.
1945
Current church, Calvary Baptist, built.
1962
High Plains Indian School closed
2003
Legislative name change from “Indians of Person County” to Sappony.