A “digital textbook”
LEARN NC’s digital textbook for North Carolina History uses primary sources and multimedia to tell many stories about the past, not just one.
Part three covers the era of the American Revolution, including the Regulators, the resistance to Great Britain, the War for Independence, and the creation of new governments.
North Carolina Digital History
Revolutionary North Carolina
American colonists emerged from the French and Indian War proud to be part of the greatest empire on earth. But the simmering problems of colonial government were about to boil over. In barely a decade, North Carolinians progressed from discontent to civil disobedience to violent civil war. Then, having secured their independence, the winners set about writing their principles into a new form of government.
Designed for secondary students, this third module of our web-based “digital textbook” combines primary sources with articles from a variety of perspectives, maps, photographs, and multimedia to tell the many stories of Revolutionary North Carolina:
- the uprisings of Regulators, backcountry farmers angry with unfair taxes, illegal fees, and corrupt officials
- the responses of North Carolinians and other colonists to Great Britain’s taxes and trade regulations
- the path from resistance to armed revolution
- the bloody civil war in the Carolina backcountry
- the creation of independent governments for North Carolina and the United States