A lesson plan for grade 6 Social Studies
In this Xpeditions lesson, students explore ancient Inca people and their culture. Activities in this lesson engage students in whole class discussion, collaborative group work, online learning, and drawing.
- review important information about the Inca civilization and find the area where the Inca lived on a map of South America;
- look at pictures of Inca artifacts;
- work in pairs to learn about one artifact and recreate it in an image or model; and
- present the artifact to the class, sharing any important information about the artifact.
Xpeditions provides detailed directions for completing the lesson, suggestions for assessment and extension activities, discussion questions, and links to helpful web resources.
Social Studies (2003)
- Goal 4: The learner will identify significant patterns in the movement of people, goods and ideas over time and place in South America and Europe.
- Objective 4.01: Describe the patterns of and motives for the migrations of people, and evaluate their impact on the political, economic, and social development of selected societies and regions.
- Objective 4.03: Examine key ethical ideas and values deriving from religious, artistic, political, economic, and educational traditions, as well as their diffusion over time, and assess their influence on the development of selected societies and regions in South America and Europe.
- Goal 8: The learner will assess the influence and contributions of individuals and cultural groups in South America and Europe.
- Objective 8.01: Describe the role of key historical figures and evaluate their impact on past and present societies in South America and Europe.
- Objective 8.02: Describe the role of key groups and evaluate their impact on historical and contemporary societies of South America and Europe.
- Objective 8.03: Identify major discoveries, innovations, and inventions, and assess their influence on societies past and present.
- Goal 12: The learner will assess the influence of major religions, ethical beliefs, and values on cultures in South America and Europe.
- Objective 12.03: Identify examples of cultural borrowing, such as language, traditions, and technology, and evaluate their importance in the development of selected societies in South America and Europe.