Live report of the attack on Pearl Harbor
Download audio file (Right-click or option-click)
Live report of the attack on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941, from KGU Radio in Honolulu.
- Reporter:1,2,3,4. Hello NBC, Hello NBC. This is KGU in Honolulu, Hawaii. I am speaking from the roof of the Advertiser Publishing Company building. We have witnessed this morning from a distance, a view of a brief full battle of Pearl Harbor and a severe bombing of Pearl Harbor by enemy planes, undoubtedly Japanese. The city of Honolulu has also been attacked and considerable damage done. This battle has been going on for nearly three hours. One of the bombs dropped within fifty feet of KGU tower. It is no joke, it is a real war.
- The public of Honolulu has been advised to keep in their homes and await results from the Army and Navy. There has been fierce fighting going on in the air and on the sea. The heavy shooting seems to be… 1,2,3,4 just a moment, we’ll interrupt here.
- We cannot estimate yet how much damage has been done, but it has been a very severe attack. The Navy and Army appear now to have the air and the sea under control.
- Operator: Uh, just a minute. May I interrupt for just a second please? This is the telephone company. This is the operator. We are trying to get through an emergency call. Could you (unintelligible)
- Reporter: Well, we are talking to New York now. (Static) 1,2,3,4 Hello NBC. (unintelligible) 1,2…
- NBC announcer: One moment please.