How to register for LEARN NC online professional development courses
Download video file (Right-click or option-click)
This video demonstrates how to successfully enroll in an online professional development course from LEARN NC.
To see which online courses are currently available, please visit the Open for Enrollment page.
- Narrator (00:02)
- Hello. Today I’m going to show you how to register for a LEARN NC online professional development course. So the first thing, obviously, is to go to the LEARN NC web site at learnnc.org, and once you’re there, you just go to the left-hand menu here and under the "Online Courses" heading, you’ll want to click the "Open for Enrollment" link. And that’ll take you to a page, or a listing of courses that are in fact open for enrollment.
- Narrator (00:28)
- So for right now let’s just, let’s pretend that I am an instructor looking for better ways to reach the English language learners that I have in class. So I’m just going to scroll down and see what courses we have available. And, this looks good: "A Crash Course in ESL." So we’ve got the title, a little course description here, and you’ll see to the right of that we also have a list of potential start dates. This course starts either on March ninth or April seventh.
- Narrator (00:56)
- We also see the instructor, how many CEUs are potentially available, and the tuition for this course. So I’m going to click on the March ninth link, that sounds like a great day to start a course. And that’s going to bring up the course description page where I can read detailed information about the course such as the description, a syllabus you can download, course objectives, the North Carolina teacher standards to which this course is aligned. That’s good information to know.
- Narrator (01:27)
- So it sounds pretty promising, so next I just need to make sure that I can in fact take the course. So right here I see time commitment, I see that if I take this course, it’s going to take approximately two to three hours of my time per week. And how long does this last? We’ll go up here. On the right hand menu we see that it has a duration of four weeks, so that sounds pretty reasonable of a time commitment.
- Narrator (01:51)
- And also, let’s see, am I part of the intended audience? "Appropriate for all teachers and administrators, support staff and…" Okay, yep, that sounds like me. And finally, always make sure to check the course prerequisites. We get a lot of questions at LEARN NC about whether you have to be currently teaching in the classroom to take one of our online courses.
- Narrator (02:13)
- And in most cases, no you don’t. If the course you’re applying for charges tuition, we just fill those spots on a first-come-first-serve basis, regardless of whether you’re teaching right now or whether you’re teaching for a private school, not teaching at all, or what have you. So it’s just first come, first serve on those.
- Narrator (02:30)
- Just FYI though, a few of our courses do require participants to try out what they’re learning in their actual classrooms. A couple of others, you need to be teaching in a one-to-one computing environment, but for those, we always state that in the prerequisites section for a course. So, but for this one, we see that this one has no prerequisites, so it looks like I can go ahead and register. And that’s what I’m going to do.
- Narrator (02:54)
- To register, you just scroll down to the bottom of the course description page, and you’ll see this under the great big type that says "Take this course," there’s this big blue button that says "enroll in this course." So I’m just going to click on that, I’ll bet that’ll take me there. There we go. Here’s where we fill in the pertinent information, so I’ll just type in my name. Give the email address where it’s best to reach you.
- Narrator (03:26)
- Phone number, of course, that is vital, there we go. Then down in this section, the next section, is the billing information. That is obviously very important. Something to know, one of the most common reasons we reject applications is because people forget to fill out their billing information on an application. So please make sure to type in that, to type that information in.
- Narrator (03:57)
- Next we have school system contact information. This sometimes trips people up, especially teachers who aren’t teaching right now in a classroom. This is not required information, we like to have it for our records, but if you’re not currently teaching, just feel free to leave that blank, we’re not going to reject your application in that case, so.
- Narrator (04:21)
- Finally we have our user agreement and the LEARN NC drop policy. Those are two things to read up on and keep in mind. So once you’ve agreed to both of those — for right now we’ll just say that I’ve read it — I’ll click both of those boxes, and then I will just hit the “request enrollment” button. And I’ll just get a confirmation page showing that it went through.
- Narrator (04:49)
- And that’s pretty much, well that’s all there is to it for phase one of the enrollment. If I check my email I’ll get a confirmation that shows that it did go through, and then the LEARN NC registrar will review that application and reply usually in about one business day. And then at that point they’ll let you know whether the application has been accepted, whether you’re put on the wait list, or if your registration has been rejected.
- Narrator (05:18)
- And once again, if you follow the steps we talked about, you probably won’t be rejected. So that’s how to register for LEARN NC online professional development courses. If you still have questions, please feel free to contact the LEARN NC registrar at 919-843-6071, or email@example.com. Thanks, and we’ll see you in class.