Colonial monastery in Cartagena, Colombia
Tourists rest in the stone courtyard of a Catholic monastery. Large plants partially block a two-story arched walkway.
Cartagena is a large seaport town on Colombia’s northern coast. It was settled in 1533 by Spanish conquistadors and was an important seaport during the colonial period. This monastery was built in 1606 when the Church was one of the largest landowners in Colombia. More recently Cartagena has become increasingly industrialized, though its tropical climate and extremely high humidity ensures that the city will retain its lush vegetation.