Sharing with others
In this guidance lesson plan for grades 2 and 3 students will focus on the concept sharing and using their manners. They will complete an activity and then discuss their thoughts.
A lesson plan for grades K–5 Guidance and Healthful Living
- identify why sharing is positive
- demonstrate the understanding of sharing by completion of sentence stems and illustration
Classroom time required
- Little T Learns to Share by Terrell Owens ISBN 978-1-933771-20-5
- Paper, pencil, crayons, and markers
- A newspaper article that illustrates service to others
- Gather students together to read Little T Learns to Share.
- Take a book walk by examining the cover. Have students to anticipate what the story may entail.
- Read the story.
- When you finish the book, discuss what happened in the story.
- Ask questions such as: Why wouldn’t Little T share? How did the other children feel when Little T wouldn’t share? What did Little T’s mother tell him about being selfish? What happened when Little T did share? (These questions can be modified as needed for your classroom).
- Next, ask the students whether they have known anyone who did not share with them and how it made them feel.
- Discuss using manners (e.g. please, thank you) when sharing. Discuss reasons it is important to use manners when sharing.
- Distribute paper to students.
- Each student will complete the following sentence stem. I can share with others by ________. Write this sentence stem on the board for students to copy down.
- Students will also illustrate the sentence stem on the paper.
Ask students to define sharing. Read the selected newspaper article(s) aloud to students. Ask students to identify sharing actions in article(s).
- North Carolina Essential Standards
- Guidance (2010)
- RED.SE.2 Understand the relationship between self and others in the broader world. RED.SE.2.1 Identify ways of making and keeping friends. RED.SE.2.2 Understand how to support positive relationship building (e.g., managing impulsivity, adaptability, and flexibility)....
- Healthful Living (2010)
- K.ICR.1 Understand healthy and effective interpersonal communication and relationships. K.ICR.1.1 Explain reasons for sharing. K.ICR.1.2 Compare people in terms of what they have in common and how they are unique. K.ICR.1.3 Summarize protective behaviors to...
- Guidance (2010)
North Carolina curriculum alignment
- Goal 7: Acquire the attitudes, knowledge and interpersonal skills to help understand and respect self and others.
- Objective 7.03: Manage feelings.