Photo analysis: Focus on climate
A worksheet for students to use when analyzing photographs for information about the climate of the region in which they were taken.
Study the photo carefully for a few minutes and complete the questions listed below. Make sure you use evidence from the photo to support your answers when needed.
- List the objects you see in the photo such as people, buildings, and animals.
- List any activities you see taking place in the photo such as farming or leisure activities.
- Describe the types and amounts of vegetation that you see in the photo.
- Describe the types of buildings you see in the photo.
- Describe any land or water features you see such as lakes, rivers, mountains, etc.
- If there are any people in the photo, describe the clothing they are wearing?
- Based on your descriptions of the geography, buildings, plant life, etc., what can you infer about the climate of this area? What types of things do you see in the photo that may influence the temperature and precipitation?
- How do you think the people that live in this area are affected by the climate based on their clothing, housing styles, or agricultural practices you see?
- How do you think people have adapted to living in this type of climate or geographic region?
- What similarities do you see with plant, geographic, or human activities with things in the area in which you live?