Lesson Planning for English Language Learners Using the WIDA/ELP Standards: Online course syllabus
Syllabus for "Lesson Planning for English Language Learners Using the WIDA/ELP Standards," a course that provides ESL and regular K-12 classroom teachers an opportunity to plan lessons using the new NC Standard Course of Study for Limited English Proficient students known as the WIDA/ELP Standards.
Three CEUs will be awarded by respective districts upon completion of all course requirements. A certificate of completion will be sent via email to participants at the conclusion of the course.
- Computer with access to the internet, Word 97 or later versions of Microsoft Word
- Download a copy of Understanding the WIDA English Language Proficiency Standards: A Resource Guide. Scroll down to the “resource guide” section of the page. The document is in pdf format and is 68 pages long. Please print out a hard copy. You will need to refer to this document often.
- Access the NC Standard Courses of Study K-12 in Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies.
Time commitment and course requirements
This is a very rigorous course and will require being online daily. There are at least three activities each week which can vary in time needed for completion. Plan to spend at least four to five hours a week online.
Team and group work will be essential to course discussion and assignments.
Learning goals for this course
- Participants will become familiar with the organization and structure of the WIDA Standards
- Participants will differentiate between content and learning objectives.
- Participants will learn how to write quality language objectives
- Participants will gain a deeper understanding of scaffolding as it relates to writing language and content objectives.
- Participants will understand the relationship among the features of Model Performance Indicators for purposes of lesson planning and guiding instruction
- Participants will evaluate components of a quality lesson planParticipants demonstrate how to write a quality lesson plan based on the WIDA Standards.
Participants will be evaluated on three criteria:
- Completion of all assignments by the date due
- The quality of discussion posts and comments
- Participation as a team member or partner