LEARN NC provides the text of these curriculum standards as a service to teachers and as a means of linking to aligned resources for instruction. We are not responsible for curriculum development. For questions, comments, and information about the current curriculum and about curriculum reform efforts, please contact the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
Standards in transition
North Carolina’s standards are in a time of transition. During this time, LEARN NC will continue to support the existing North Carolina Standard Course of Study while we align our lesson plans to the Common Core State Standards and the North Carolina Essential Standards. All of these standards are available on this page:
- Common Core State Standards
- North Carolina Essential Standards
- North Carolina Standard Course of Study
Common Core State Standards
In 2010, North Carolina adopted the Common Core State Standards for K-12 English Language Arts and Mathematics. According to the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, these standards will be used for teaching and assessment beginning in the 2012-2013 academic year. The text of the standards is available here.
We have created a guide for elementary school teachers to help them implement the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. This guide provides resources for teachers, administrators, and parents to help them understand the content and intent of the standards, their impact on teaching and learning, and how students will be assessed on these standards.
North Carolina Essential Standards
The North Carolina Essential Standards will be used for teaching and assessment in the 2012-2013 academic year.
- Dance Arts Education Essential Standards
- Guidance Essential Standards
- Healthful Living and Physical Education Essential Standards
- Information and Technology Skills Essential Standards
- Music Education Essential Standards
- Science Essential Standards
- Social Studies Essential Standards
- Theatre Arts Education Essential Standards
- World Languages Essential Standards
- Visual Arts Education Essential Standards