Discovering our state: Pre-activities
Get ready for a great learning experience with the Discovering Our State field trip through the UNC Visitors' Center and Morehead Planetarium! Help your students be prepared for this walking tour by leading them through one (or more!) of these activities prior to the field trip.
A field trip opportunity for grade 4 Social Studies
- Lesson: What is commemoration?
- In this lesson, students learn about the concept of commemoration. Students will share how their families remember important people and events, and they will compare and contrast these practices with the ways in which their peers’ families remember loved ones. At the end of this lesson, students will have a solid understanding of what it means to commemorate someone or something, and they will be ready to apply this knowledge to the sites they will visit during the Discovering Our State field trip.
- Search the Commemorative Landscapes database
- While on the Discovering Our State tour, the students will be introduced to monuments, memorials, and exhibits of varying types that relate to our state’s history. Prior to this field trip, have the students work individually, in groups, or as a whole class to find and research a monument near where they live in order to learn more about their local history. Have them create a multimedia presentation to teach the rest of class about the monument they researched.
- Get familiar with monuments on UNC-Chapel Hill’s campus
- Some of the sites students will be seeing during the Discovery Class are featured in the Commemorative Landscapes database. You can have them preview these sites by looking them up online prior to your field trip.
- North Carolina Essential Standards
- Social Studies (2010)
- 4.C.1 Understand the impact of various cultural groups on North Carolina. 4.C.1.1 Explain how the settlement of people from various cultures affected the development of regions in North Carolina (languages, foods and traditions). 4.C.1.2 Explain how the artistic...
- 4.H.1 Analyze the chronology of key historical events in North Carolina history. 4.H.1.1 Summarize the change in cultures, everyday life and status of indigenous American Indian groups in North Carolina before and after European exploration. 4.H.1.2 Explain...
- 4.H.2 Understand how notable structures, symbols and place names are significant to North Carolina. 4.H.2.1 Explain why important buildings, statues, monuments and place names are associated with the state's history. 4.H.2.2 Explain the historical significance...
- Social Studies (2010)